4.1100 Words: Degendering them (3/45)

Wed, 27 Feb 91 20:33:59 EST

Humanist Discussion Group, Vol. 4, No. 1100. Wednesday, 27 Feb 1991.

(1) Date: Wed, 27 Feb 91 11:54:08 GMT (13 lines)
From: viden@logos.class.gu.se (Gunhild Viden)
Subject: Re. 4.1095 Degendering ombudsman

(2) Date: Wed, 27 Feb 91 11:55 EST (17 lines)
From: TRACY LOGAN <LOGANT@lafayett.BITNET>
Subject: inclusive word to replace 'freshman'?

(3) Date: Wed, 27 Feb 91 13:12 CST (15 lines)
From: Robin Smith <RSMITH@KSUVM.KSU.EDU>
Subject: Anthropologists, not 'andrologists'

Date: Wed, 27 Feb 91 11:54:08 GMT
From: viden@logos.class.gu.se (Gunhild Viden)

As to -man being gender neutral or not: The Swedish
jamstalldhetsombudsman (help yourselves, those of you who maintain
that we use the languages we are most comfortable with! To the rest of
you: Equal Rights ombudsman, equal rights referring to the sexes) is
called just that, and so far she has always been a woman. No one has
ever suggested that she be called -person etc.

Gunhild Viden, univ. of Gothenburg