4.1142 "Mother of ...": Final Installment (3/99)

Fri, 8 Mar 91 17:13:22 EST

Humanist Discussion Group, Vol. 4, No. 1142. Friday, 8 Mar 1991.

(1) Date: Fri, 08 Mar 91 11:28 EST (18 lines)
From: "Jack M. Sasson" <JSASS@UNC>
Subject: Re: 4.1135 "Mother Of ..."

(2) Date: Fri, 8 Mar 91 08:54:35 +0100 (14 lines)
From: Timothy.Reuter@MGH.BADW-MUENCHEN.DBP.DE
Subject: Mother of

(3) Date: Fri, 8 Mar 91 11:38:43 EST (67 lines)
From: markt@umd5.umd.edu (Mark Turner)
Subject: The End of Mother Of

Date: Fri, 08 Mar 91 11:28 EST
From: "Jack M. Sasson" <JSASS@UNC>

Re: "Mother of battles."

The idiom intrigued me as I had never come accross it before. I had
assumed that the arabic was "'umm al-h(.)uru(-)b" the last word being
the plural of "h(.)arb" "battle," a feminine word. But when Saddam
Huseyn was on the tube recently I heard a portion of his speech before
it was blanked over with an english translation. He referred to "'umm
al-ma`rakat," the last word being the plural of another word for
battle, also fem. 'Umm is well known as a word by which to convey the
essence or origin of the next word attached to it (e.g. 'umm al kitab,
the first sura of the Qur'an.
*
I am now thinking that the locution 'umm al ma`rakat, itself unknown
to me from elsewhere, may actually be a peculiar survival in arabic
(through aramaic?) of a misunderstood "Armaggedon." But I am sure of
nothing yet. The above is for all its worth.