4.1151 The Final Words on `Mother' (3/58)

Mon, 11 Mar 91 17:12:02 EST

Humanist Discussion Group, Vol. 4, No. 1151. Monday, 11 Mar 1991.

(1) Date: Fri, 08 Mar 91 17:32:58 EST (21 lines)
From: Steve Mason <SHLOMO@VM1.YorkU.CA>
Subject: A real mother!

(2) Date: Sat, 9 Mar 91 17:18 EST (22 lines)
From: <DORENKAMP@HLYCROSS>
Subject: "Mother" one more time

(3) Date: Sun, 10 Mar 91 17:29 O (15 lines)
From: <GRAHAM@EGFRCUVX>
Subject: mother of...

Date: Fri, 08 Mar 91 17:32:58 EST
From: Steve Mason <SHLOMO@VM1.YorkU.CA>

The impressive analyses of "mother of ..." that followed Timothy
Reuter's query have demonstrated once and for all the polyvalence of
language. Who really cares what SAD'm *intended*? Or perhaps we could
get him on HUMANIST to tell us what he meant; he might disappoint us all!

Actually, one obvious possibility seems to have been missed. Those who
think that the expression sounds strange in English haven't been riding
the right buses. I've certainly heard things like "Don't mess with him,
man; he's a MEAN muthah!" Problem is, I fear that this usage
abbreviates something else. And surely SAD'm is too much of a statesman
to use such language. But it would fit the context, no?

Let me redeem myself, if I can, by agreeing with those who find the
genitive epexegetical rather than partitive.

Steve Mason
Humanities, York U.