4.1258 Rs: E-texts via FTP (2/92)

Mon, 22 Apr 91 00:41:19 EDT

Humanist Discussion Group, Vol. 4, No. 1258. Monday, 22 Apr 1991.

(1) Date: Wed, 17 Apr 1991 07:32:51 EDT (55 lines)
From: hans@kean.ucs.mun.ca
Subject: List of E-texts via anonymous FTP

(2) Date: Wed, 17 Apr 1991 09:28:06 EDT (37 lines)
From: hans@kean.ucs.mun.ca
Subject: More about E-Texts at anonymously accessible FTP sites

Date: Wed, 17 Apr 1991 07:32:51 EDT
From: hans@kean.ucs.mun.ca

Date: 17 Apr 1991

From: HANS ROLLMANN hans@kean.ucs.mun.cs/hrollman@munucs.ucs.mun.ca

It seems to me that presently only Lewis Carroll's works (Alice in
Wonderland, Looking Glass, Snark) are available free world-wide.
There is also a CIA-compiled World Fact Handbook (an Almanac) of ca.
1.9 megabyte for the taking. Project Gutenberg envisions but
doesn't have made available yet a variety of other texts. This info
comes from a moderately active FTP prowler, who has looked into the
E-TEXT directories from Simtel to Germany, to Japan.

The most common sites are (according to Project Gutenberg):
mrcnext.cso.uiuc.edu or (128.174.201.12 ) cd /etext
(Please do NOT use the mrcnext between 10AM and 6PM weekdays)
(Located in Urbana, IL)
simtel20.army.mil

simtel20.army.mil or (26.2.0.74) pd:<books>
Also known as WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL
(This computer has great archives and is used a lot, takes time)
(Detailed
instructions below)

The MSDOS portions of simtel are echoed on:
wuarchive.wustl.edu
Name: wuarchive.wustl.edu
Address: 128.252.135.4
(Please report your efforts on wuarchive, we need a guru for it)
(wuarchive
also echoed on mrcnext.cso.uiuc.edu)
(Located in St. Louis area)
wuarchive.wustl.edu
deneva.sdd.trw.com
wuarchive.wustl.edu

deneva.sdd.trw.com or (129.193.73.1) cd pub/etext and cd
pub/etext/compressed for compresses versions.
(Our thanks to TRW)
(Located in Los Angeles area)
quake.think.com

quake.think.com (NEW LISTING!)