4.1261 Rs: Primus inter pares; S. Bernard & Dante (3/46)

Mon, 22 Apr 91 00:49:56 EDT

Humanist Discussion Group, Vol. 4, No. 1261. Monday, 22 Apr 1991.

(1) Date: Fri, 19 Apr 91 00:09:52 EDT (13 lines)
From: Robert Hollander <bobh@phoenix.Princeton.EDU>
Subject: S. Bernard and Dante

(2) Date: Thu, 18 Apr 91 19:42:40 CST (20 lines)
From: Oliver Phillips <PHILLIPS@UKANVM>
Subject: Primus inter pares

(3) Date: Thu, 18 Apr 91 13:46:57 PDT (13 lines)
From: cbf@athena.berkeley.edu (Charles Faulhaber)
Subject: Re: 4.1249 Who said?: Primus inter pares; St. Bernard

Date: Fri, 19 Apr 91 00:09:52 EDT
From: Robert Hollander <bobh@phoenix.Princeton.EDU>

30.148. Sapegno (and, later, Giacalone) cites the commentary of
Gioachino Berthier to Inferno (he did not get round to the rest of
the COMMEDIA), a voluminous work, published at Fribourg 1892-97. He
is a not much consulted but most interesting commentator. Whether
or not the quotation ("Audire quod turpe est puderi maximo est") is
Bernardine I cannot say. However, Berthier does give a source (which
Sapegno, citing him, does not): _De ordine vitae_. You could look it
up.