4.1286 Notes: G. Phonology SW; Gutenberg Newsletter (2/111)

Wed, 24 Apr 91 22:20:27 EDT

Humanist Discussion Group, Vol. 4, No. 1286. Wednesday, 24 Apr 1991.

(1) Date: Wed, 24 Apr 91 12:16 EST (62 lines)
From: "NANCY M. IDE (914) 437 5988" <IDE@VASSAR>
Subject: [Generative Phonology Software]

(2) Date: Tue, 23 Apr 91 16:31:00 CDT (49 lines)
From: "Michael S. Hart" <HART@vmd.cso.uiuc.edu>
Subject: Gutenberg Newsletter

Date:(3) Wed, 24 Apr 91 12:16 EST (17 lines)
From: "NANCY M. IDE (914) 437 5988" <IDE@VASSAR>
Subject: software

From: evan@txsil.lonestar.org (Evan Antworth)

I have uploaded to SIMTEL a program called Fonol. It is a generative
phonology rule simulator. You write a phonological description using
"standard generative phonology" (a la Chomsky & Halle 1968, Sound
Pattern of English) and Fonol applies the rules to data. It will likely
be useful mostly for pedagogical purposes, but should also be useful for
developing and testing a phonological analysis.

The program was written by Frank R. Brandon, but as he does not have
network or email access, I have made it available for him. It is
'freeware': anyone can give away copies as long as they do not charge
for the copies and as long as they give all the distribution files in
unmodified form. It should be noted that Frank is not affiliated with
SIL (Summer Institute of Linguistics), and Fonol is not distributed or
supported by SIL. Frank's address and phone number are given in the
documentation.

Fonol is available for IBM PC compatibles only. Sorry Mac users. If
someone would like to do a Mac port of it, I'm sure Frank will supply
the sources. I have briefly tried the program, but have not extensively
tested it. I hope someone will test the program and report back to LL.

Fonol is available from the SIMTEL-20 archive as follows:

Directory PD1:<MSDOS.EDUCATION>
FONOL400.ZIP B 99329 910418 Generative Phonology rule simulator

The SIMTEL archives can be accessed by anonymous FTP from:

w8sdz@WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL [IP address 26.2.0.74]

If you don't have FTP capability, you can get Fonol from SIMTEL via
e-mail. Send e-mail to listserv@rpiecs.bitnet (or just listserv@rpiecs
if you are on bitnet) with this single-line message:

/PDGET MAIL PD1:<MSDOS.EDUCATION>FONOL400.ZIP UUENCODE

If you get Fonol by e-mail, you will receive several uuencoded files.
You will need a UUDECODE program to restore the ZIP file. Then you
will need the PKUNZIP program to restore the original files.

If you just can't get Fonol from SIMTEL or can't handle decoding and
unzipping, write to me and we will try to work something out.

Evan Antworth
Academic Computing Department
Summer Institute of Linguistics
7500 W. Camp Wisdom Road