4.1297 Primus Inter Pares (2/29)

Mon, 29 Apr 91 23:20:51 EDT

Humanist Discussion Group, Vol. 4, No. 1297. Monday, 29 Apr 1991.

(1) Date: Tue, 23 Apr 91 21:56 CST (13 lines)
From: <THEOBIBLE@STMARYTX>
Subject: PRIMUS INTER PARES

(2) Date: Wed, 24 Apr 91 14:16:11 IST (16 lines)
From: "David M. Schaps" <F21004@BARILVM>
Subject: Re: 4.1277 Primus inter pares (2/24)

Date: Tue, 23 Apr 91 21:56 CST
From: <THEOBIBLE@STMARYTX>

The expression "primus inter pares" has been used for a long time in
theological circles to indicate the Orthodox valuation of the Patriarch
of Constantinople vis-a-vis other orthodox bishops, or the Patriarch of
Rome vis-a-vis other patriarchs and bishops. It would appear to be
perhaps a translation from Greek. Does anyone know of something roughly
equivalent in medieval Greek Orthodox writings?

Charles Miller