4.1304 Dissimulatio; Gender (2/59)

Tue, 30 Apr 91 23:23:32 EDT

Humanist Discussion Group, Vol. 4, No. 1304. Tuesday, 30 Apr 1991.

(1) Date: 30 Apr 91 00:15:20 EST (17 lines)
From: James O'Donnell <JODONNEL@PENNSAS.UPENN.EDU>
Subject: 4.1299 Words: Dissimulatio in Simmacus; Envelope

(2) Date: Tue, 30 Apr 91 10:04:15 -0500 (42 lines)
From: Dennis Baron <baron@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu>
Subject: metaphorical gender

Date: 30 Apr 91 00:15:20 EST
From: James O'Donnell <JODONNEL@PENNSAS.UPENN.EDU>
Subject: 4.1299 Words: Dissimulatio in Simmacus; Envelope (2/30)

The passage in question is Symm. rel. 3.3, si exemplum non facit religio
veterum, faciat dissimulatio proximorum. In pleading for imperial
support of certain `pagan' rites, Symmachus suggests that Christian
emperors preceding the one to whom he is appealing had `tolerated' these
rites; but a correct translation of dissimulatio would take into account
the history of that word in Latin, where one of its clear meanings is
`deliberate [and not entirely disingenous] ignorance'. Symmachus' point
is that the earlier Christian emperors looked the other way, so why
should not the emperor to whom he appeals? Finding `toleration' in the
text is a good example (of which the history of the study of *that*
particular text abounds) of reading modern prejudices into ancient
texts, especially when we think we sympathize with the author of those
texts.