4.1322 Scholar's Tools (1/20)

Mon, 6 May 91 09:06:03 EDT

Humanist Discussion Group, Vol. 4, No. 1322. Monday, 6 May 1991.

Date: 4 May 91 22:09:00 EST
From: "DAVID STUEHLER" <stuehler@apollo.montclair.edu>
Subject: Scholar's tools

The perfect software for the researcher would allow one to take
notes, quote, summarize as one reads. These notes would then be
stored in some sort of free form database from which they could be
retrieved in any number of ways--by source, key concepts, key
words.... The notes could then be pulled into your favorite word
processor or outline program. Footnoting and bibliography
generating would be automatic. It would be great if it worked in
Windows. What other features should it have?

I know there are lots of programs out there that do some or
all (?) of these things. What are the good ones? How do you use
them? How well do they work? What are the problems and
frustrations? I think we could all benefit from sharing
information on the tools we use when we work. If you would
rather reply to me than the list, I will summarize for everyone else.

David Stuehler
Montclair State
stuehler@apollo.montclair.edu