5.0037 Rings; Composite Novels; Gender (3/76)

Mon, 13 May 91 22:06:15 EDT

Humanist Discussion Group, Vol. 5, No. 0037. Monday, 13 May 1991.

(1) Date: Thu, 9 May 1991 16:52 EDT (26 lines)
From: LINDYK@Vax2.Concordia.CA
Subject: Re: 4.1314 Wedding Rings

(2) Date: Wed, 8 May 91 22:55-0400 (11 lines)
From: WIEBEM@QUCDN
Subject: 5.0014 Composite Novels

(3) Date: Wed, 8 May 91 10:17:53 -0500 (39 lines)
From: Dennis Baron <baron@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu>
Subject: Happy Birthday Gender

Date: Thu, 9 May 1991 16:52 EDT
From: LINDYK@Vax2.Concordia.CA
Subject: Re: 4.1314 Wedding Rings (3/51)

Hello,

As an addendum to the Wedding Ring discussion, is there
any reason that North Americans wear their wedding bands on
their left hand. I ask because I remember an anecdote told
to me by my mother after she had gone back to visit her
family in Poland after the war. Several people asked her
if she had only recently been widowed and what her husband
had died of. She was quite taken aback by the question since
her husband was still quite alive back in Canada. Only later
was it explained to her that a window transfers her wedding
band to her left hand, the right hand being the customary
dding band. Is this a custom that is particular to Poland or
is it a more general European custom? Is there an North American
equivalent, namely, moving the wedding band from the left to the
right upon the death of a spouse? Why is it customary for
North Americans to wear the band on the left hand?

Thanks,

Bogdan KARASEK
lindyk@vax2.concordia.ca