5.0058 More on Copyright (2/138)

Wed, 15 May 91 20:59:56 EDT

Humanist Discussion Group, Vol. 5, No. 0058. Wednesday, 15 May 1991.

(1) Date: 15 May 1991, 17:55:34 EST (42 lines)
From: FLANNAGA at OUACCVMB
Subject: Copyright: "Parasitical" publishers and mooching authors.

(2) Date: Tue, 14 May 91 23:53:54 CDT (96 lines)
From: robin@utafll.uta.edu (Robin Cover)
Subject: Copyright: liberal permissions policies are irrelevant

Date: 15 May 1991, 17:55:34 EST
From: FLANNAGA at OUACCVMB
Subject: Copyright again. "Parasitical" publishers and mooching authors.

I find myself on all three sides of this fence. I am editor, publisher,
sometimes compositor, sometimes author for money, sometimes author for
no money, sometimes cited, sometimes neglected, sometimes refuted. I
sympathize with the publishers because they are pestered by the
slimy types that slither around academic hallways buying back review
copies to sell to college bookstore conglomerates. They are also
pestered by Kinkos, who in our university town moved in to the corner
right across from both college bookstores and began to peddle course
packets. They have mixed relations with the bookstore conglomerates
that buy back the used books from the slimy types and the students who
cash in their texts for ten percent back after using them ten weeks.
The publishers have Robert Maxwell breathing down their necks (doesn't
he own all of them now?), forcing them to squeeze every bit of profit
out of every text, lowering the royalty percentage and forcing authors
to pay for their own ads. And here are we self-righteous academics
calling *them* parasites. We have tenure; they have to flounder in the
marketplace or become amalgamated in order to buy into job security.

There are reasons for us to be mad at them. If you wrote a Cliff Note
as a graduate student twenty years ago, you got paid $700 and signed
away the rights; today Cliff is collecting fully on every word you
wrote, perhaps $3.00 on each one of the 10,000 copies he sells a year in
almost every college bookstore in the country. But a good publisher and
editor will help an author with scrupulous and sometimes quite unselfish
copy-editing, with production, design, sometimes even with indexing, and
then work out a decent percentage of sales as royalty.

There are academics who have struck it rich off textbooks and drive
around in Mercedes that they paid cash for: who is parasitical there?

Where am I leading? I just don't think we should throw stones or
protest too much that the words that we labor over should be free of
copyright restrictions that would divide the profits fairly between
labor and production. The author is entitled to royalties if the book
makes money for the publisher, but much of academic publishing is not
profitable: the author therefore should not bitch or become resentful if
he or she gets nothing out of a book the general public thinks
worthless. Roy Flannagan