5.0078 Teaching Classical Languages (2/66)

Tue, 21 May 91 15:02:06 EDT

Humanist Discussion Group, Vol. 5, No. 0078. Tuesday, 21 May 1991.

(1) Date: Fri, 17 May 91 01:49:33 -0400 (29 lines)
From: /G=S/S=LAWALL/@COMPLIT.umass.edu
Subject: Relayed response re: Teaching a Classical Language

(2) Date: Fri, 17 May 91 13:03:24 BST (37 lines)
From: DEL2@phoenix.cambridge.ac.uk
Subject: Re: [5.0069 Teaching Classical Languages; CALL

Date: Fri, 17 May 91 01:49:33 -0400
From: /G=S/S=LAWALL/@COMPLIT.umass.edu
Subject: Relayed response re: 5.0053 Q: Teaching a Classical Language

Subject: teaching a classical language.

Maurice Balme and I have just published a new textbook for Clas-
sical Greek that combines the deductive and inductive methods
(ATHENAZE: AN INTRODUCTION TO ANCIENT GREEK, Books I and II,
Oxford University Press, 1990-1991). It is being used with con-
siderable success at schools, colleges, and universities here in
the U.S.A. You might also want to examine Stephen W. Paine's
BEGINNING GREEK: A FUNCTIONAL APPROACH (Oxford University Press,
1961), which I have used many times for teaching New Testament
Greek. It is a strictly inductive approach, using the first six
chapters of the Gospel of John as its basic reading text. The
important thing is to choose a basic reading text that your stu-
dents will take a real interest in. That's the best way to
motivate them and keep their interest in studying the language.
You might also want to examine LATIN FOR READING: A BEGINNER'S
TEXTBOOKS WITH EXERCISES, by Glenn M. Knudsvig, Revised Edition,
1990), which uses a readily comprehensible structural approach to
the grammar and genuine Latin sententiae, "sayings," "proverbs,"
etc. as examples.

Gilbert Lawall
Department of Classics
University of Massachusetts at Amherst