Tue, 21 May 91 15:22:58 EDT

Humanist Discussion Group, Vol. 5, No. 0082. Tuesday, 21 May 1991.

(1) Date: Fri, 17 May 91 11:56 CDT (60 lines)
From: Bill Kupersmith <BLAWRKWY@UIAMVS>
Subject: Gatling Guns

(2) Date: Fri, 17 May 91 11:03 BST (10 lines)
From: Stephen Miller <STEPHEN@vax.oxford.ac.uk>
Subject: Social History of the Machine Gun

Date: Fri, 17 May 91 11:56 CDT
From: Bill Kupersmith <BLAWRKWY@UIAMVS>

In answer to Marc Smith's query about a poem featuring the Gatling
gun, I'd say that three different poems have been confused.
Marc Smith is probably reacalling a couplet, not by Kipling, but
by Hilaire Belloc, from *The Modern Traveller* "'Whatever happens
we have got / The Maxim Gun, and they have not.'" Sorry I cannot
supply the line numbers--the text before me isn't numbered--but
it's in sec. VII. And I can't guess from where Marc Smith remembered
it--it's often quoted by authors on technicology and imperialism (e.g.,
John Ellis, *The Social History of the Machine Gun* [New York: Pantheon,
1975], p. 94).

Of course a Maxim gun isn't a Gatling gun, but an example of the
first successful modern machine gun, which fires automatically
rather than by turning a crank. For the Gatling gun in poetry I think
Timothy Reuter is right to credit Henry Newbolt. The poem remembered
is from *Clifton Chapel and Other Poems* and is entitled "Vitai Lampada"
(the funny looking spelling of "vitae" is Lucretian [2.79]). The
crucial stanza reads:

The sand of the desert is sodden red,--
Red with the wreck of a square that broke;--
The Gatling's jammed and the Colonel dead,
And the regiment blind with dust and smoke.
The river of death has brimmed his banks,
And England's far, and Honour a name,
But the voice of a schoolboy rallies the ranks:
'Play up! play up! and play the game!'

The reference to the jammed Gatling probably was inspired by the Zulu
War of 1879: "The jamming of the Gatling Guns, mentioned by Lord
Chelmsford, undoubtedly was due to the use of ordinary service rifle
cartridges . . . With the solid-drawn cartridge cases, recommended
for Gatling Gun use, no such difficulty was enountered (Paul Wahl
and Donald R. Toppel, *The Gatling Gun* [New York: ARCO, 1965],
p. 89).

There is, however, a poem by Kipling that deals with the same
theme of superior military technology--not machine guns but
light artillery--"Screw-Guns" in *Barrack-Room Ballads*:
The refrain goes:

For you all love the screw-guns--the screw guns they all love you!
So when we call round with a few guns, o' course you will know
what to do--hoo! hoo!
Jest send in your Chief an' surrender--it's worse if you fights
or you runs:
You can go where you please, you can skid up the trees, but you
don't get away from the guns!

As a schoolboy I recall that a friend had a recording of a British
Army chorus (probably Royal Horse Artillery or Royal Artillery)
singing "Screw-Guns" to the tune of the "Eaton Boating Song"--it
was awesome.

--Bill Kupersmith
University of Iowa