Tue, 11 Jun 91 16:57:26 EDT

Humanist Discussion Group, Vol. 5, No. 0135. Tuesday, 11 Jun 1991.

(1) Date: 10 June 1991, 19:53:29 EST (27 lines)
From: FLANNAGA at OUACCVMB
Subject: Milton's prose on-line

(2) Date: Tue, 11 Jun 91 14:23 GMT (13 lines)
From: GRAHAM@EGFRCUVX
Subject: mail to cambridge

Date: 10 June 1991, 19:53:29 EST
From: FLANNAGA at OUACCVMB

There is no current source of Milton's prose, though *Areopagitica* I
think is included on The Library of the Future CD. Eva Thury has been
entering the Latin prose at Drexel University, but I am not sure at
which stage she is at the moment. I am planning a prospectus for a
Milton CD which should include both the Yale and the Columbia editions,
plus a number of reference works. If anyone on Humanist has suggestions
of "essential" reference works, from 1680 or so on up to the very
present, I would appreciate hearing from them, or hearing discussion of
what might be included. Lou Burnard, Tom Corns and I have also been
working on a system of encoding the Milton texts for retrieval of
various kinds of information, as with genres, divisions of poetic forms,
speakers, in addition to encoding planned to be helpful to editors or
even in some cases to bibliographers. To date, I do not think there has
been a CD devoted to one literary figure and including primary texts
plus reference materials such as annotations, bibliographies or
concordances. Again, I would like to hear ideas about how the material
might be arranged, how it might be hyper-related, how it might be most
conveniently encoded, keeping in mind that Milton wrote not only in
English but in Latin, Greek and Italian, and quoted in Hebrew.
Meanwhile, if anyone out there has been keyboarding Milton's prose
secretly for years, please let me and Eric Dahlin know. Roy Flannagan
(Department of English, Ohio University, Athens, Ohio 45701;
614-593-2829 or 2831 [office] or 614-592-2450 [home]).
For mail to Cambridge, I think you almost certainly
want NAME@cambridge.phoenix.ac.uk; this is what
works from EARN (and probably BITNET as well). Within
Britain (i.e. on JANET), it would be NAME@uk.ac.cam.phx,
so what you have is wrong either way round.

Good luck,
Graham White
American University in Cairo