5.0161 Rs: E-Journals; Old Church Slavonic (2/94)

Wed, 19 Jun 91 16:50:42 EDT

Humanist Discussion Group, Vol. 5, No. 0161. Wednesday, 19 Jun 1991.

(1) Date: Fri, 14 Jun 91 11:46:37 EDT (60 lines)
From: Stevan Harnad <harnad@Princeton.EDU>
Subject: Hypercitation

(2) Date: Tue, 18 Jun 91 20:02:53 edt (34 lines)
From: "Van Doren, Frederick L." <VANDOREN@DICKINSN.Bitnet>
Subject: 5.0147 Summary: Teaching Classical Languages

Date: Fri, 14 Jun 91 11:46:37 EDT
From: Stevan Harnad <harnad@Princeton.EDU>

> Date: Fri, 14 Jun 91 07:54 -0300
> From: "JEROME H. BARKOW" <BARKOW@AC.DAL.CA>
> Subject: objections to electronic journals
>
> How about: Articles in electronic journals are much harder to access
> and cite than printed ones, which have the benefit of being listed in a
> table of contents in a journal right on the library shelf. Jerry

Jerry, actually, your accessibility/citation objections are already
contained in the current list of 14, but I'll highlight them further.

They are easily answered. (It has also been suggested that I separate
the prima facie objections into objections in principle and objections
in practice. Accessibility would be a temporary problem, soon to be
completely solved by technology; citability sounds like a problem
in principle, but in reality it is a nonproblem, based on old
papyrocentric thinking.)

Full text searchability and retrievability of all electronic journal
articles (by a more powerful version of anonymous ftp) from every
modem-connected computer and every public terminal (of which there will
be many in every library and institution once this becomes the
preferred form for addressing the literature) will actually give you
infinitely more powerful, efficient, and global accessibility than
anything that could possibly be done in paper. (And supplementing
full-text search with electronic tables of contents, likewise
searchable, is also trivially easy).

Citing electronic articles (recently discussed among PSYCOLOQUY
editors) is not only possible already, but with hypertext links between
documents one is reading/writing and the full literature it will become
like an all-powerful virtual "hand" that can search, find, and retrieve
any item in the literature. Reference lists will come "alive" instantly
as one reads the work of others, and writing will incorporate an
interactive search not only of one's own frail memory of the literature,
and one's bulky and distributed paper memory aids, but, through
"hypercitation," the virtual hand will be free to roam intelligently
(through memory-jogging word-searches) across the entire body of
existing (electronic) knowledge (not to mention the "live" knowledge of
its authors, via email) at all times, from all places!

The reason I think this exercise (and the article laying to rest these
prima facie objections) is so worthwhile is that these prima facie
objections -- so easily refuted in most cases in already existing
practice, and all the rest readily refutable in principle, by
appreciating technological developments that are already within our
reach and merely a matter of mustering the will to find the way -- are
actually "soft" obstacles to the evolution of the medium. Mere failures
of imagination arising from a long scholarly history of slavery to the
habits of paper, if they can be laid to rest once and for all then there
is still time for the inevitable revolutionary effects of the new
medium to occur within our own scholarly lifetimes (thereby extending
those very lives by an order of magnitude, in my judgment)!

Stevan Harnad