5.0187 Computing: CAI Expensive; DTP Cheaper/Better (2/59)

Tue, 25 Jun 91 16:48:29 EDT

Humanist Discussion Group, Vol. 5, No. 0187. Tuesday, 25 Jun 1991.

(1) Date: Tue, 25 Jun 91 11:23:22 BST (19 lines)
From: Donald A Spaeth <GKHA13@cms.glasgow.ac.uk>
Subject: Re: 5.0166 Why Prove Computers Do It Better?

(2) Date: Tue, 25 Jun 91 11:10:56 GMT (40 lines)
From: Christopher Currie (IHR) <THRA004@MVS.ULCC.AC.UK>
Subject: Cost of Computing

Date: Tue, 25 Jun 91 11:23:22 BST
From: Donald A Spaeth <GKHA13@cms.glasgow.ac.uk>

Dana Paramskas asks why we have to prove that computers can do it
better. I can think of two reasons.

(1) computer-based instruction is expensive, in terms of equipment
and time devoted to preparing materials, not to mention
student time in learning to use computers (computer-based teaching
means more than just CALL). In other words, there is an opportunity
cost to teaching with computers.

(2) If it's not broken, why mend it? Teaching has proceeded quite
happily for a long time without computers.

Donald Spaeth
Computers in Teaching Initiative Centre for History with Archaeology and
Art History (CTICH)
University of Glasgow
gkha13 at cms.glasgow.ac.uk (US order)