5.0190 Summary: Rhetorica ad Herennium (1/83)

Wed, 26 Jun 91 21:45:14 EDT

Humanist Discussion Group, Vol. 5, No. 0190. Wednesday, 26 Jun 1991.

Date: Wed, 26 Jun 91 17:36:41 EDT
From: Alan David Bulley <458507@UOTTAWA>
Subject: Rhetorica ad Herennium

Thanks to the following people for their help in running down material on
Ps. Cicero, _Rhetorica ad Herennium_. Several of those who replied
(including those who wrote to me, rather than the list) asked if I would
post the responses which I received. The list is not in any kind of
orderly format, but the works should still be identifiable. The comments
on the works are not mine, but those of the people who brought them to my
attention.

THANKS TO:

OCRAMER%CCNODE@VAXF.Colorado.EDU

James Marchand <marchand@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu>

Brian Whittaker <BRIANW@VM2.YorkU.CA>

inwood@epas.utoronto.ca (B. Inwood)

Ton.vanderWouden@let.ruu.nl

Robin Smith <RSMITH@KSUVM.KSU.EDU>

James Marchand <marchand@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu>

ooi@mace.cc.purdue.edu (Jim Porter)

"Tom Benson 814-865-4201" <T3B@PSUVM>

cbf@athena.berkeley.edu (Charles Faulhaber)

REFERENCES RECEIVED:

1) George KENNEDY, _Rhetoric in the Roman World_

2) _L'Annee philologique_

3) Harry CAPLAN, Loeb Classic volume, 1954.

4) JJ MURPHY, _Bibliography of Medieval Rhetoric_(now 2d ed, Toronto)

5) Martin R. P. McGUIRE, _Introduction to Classical Studies_
_Introduction to Mediaeval Latin Studies_

6) T.W. BALDWIN, _Shakespeare's small Latine and lesse Greeke_

7) G.M.A. GRUBE, _The Greek and Roman Critics_

8) Gilbert HIGHET, _The Classical Tradition_

9) E. R. CURTIUS, _European Literature and the Latin Middle Ages_

10) Heinrich LAUSBERG, _Handbuch der literarischen Rhetorik_

11) Frances YATES, _The Art of Memory_

12) Mary CARRUTHERS, _The Book of Memory_

(these last two items are discussions of the memory-technique outlined in
the Rhetorica ad Herennium. Each of these contains further bibliography)

13) _Rhetorique a Herennius_, texte etabli et traduit par Guy ACHARD.
Collection des Universites de France (Paris: Les Belles Lettres, 1989).

(It contains a new edition, a French translation, introduction and notes.
It also contains a bibliography. There is also a good deal of work done
by Gualtiero CALBOLI.)

14) Richard ENOS' essay on the classical period in _The Present State
Scholarship in Historical and Contemporary Rhetoric_
Winnifred Bryan Horner, ed. (Missouri, 1983)
[for a bibliography of primary and secondary sources]

15) James J. MURPHY, _Rhetoric in the Middle Ages_ (California, 1974);
and his essay on RaH in his collection, _A Synoptic History of
Classical Rhetoric_ (Hermagoras, 1983)

16) Ray NADEAU's August 1949 translation and commentary on Book 1 in
SPEECH MONOGRAPHS

Alan Bulley
Saint Paul University, Ottawa
Bitnet: 458507@UOTTAWA