5.0198 Rs: Lipogrammatic Literature (3/47)

Thu, 27 Jun 91 14:50:06 EDT

Humanist Discussion Group, Vol. 5, No. 0198. Thursday, 27 Jun 1991.

(1) Date: Wed, 26 Jun 91 23:43 EDT (20 lines)
From: O MH KATA MHXANHN <MCCARTHY@CUA>
Subject: lipogrammatica

(2) Date: Thu, 27 Jun 91 15:03 GMT (12 lines)
From: Dusko Vitas 38-11-639-544 <XPMFL02@YUBGSS21.BITNET>
Subject: Re: 5.0193 ... Lipogrammatic

(3) Date: Wed, 26 Jun 91 10:49:13 CST (15 lines)
From: (James Marchand) <marchand@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu>
Subject: lipograms

Date: Wed, 26 Jun 91 23:43 EDT
From: O MH KATA MHXANHN <MCCARTHY@CUA>

Georges Perec's _La Disparition_ is the lipogrammatic novel which
escaped Dirk Held's memory; a similar feat (?) was accomplished by
Ernest Wright in _Gadsby_ (subtitled: A Story of over 50,000 Words
Without Using the Letter E). For reasons which I need not go into here,
I have a few tidbits of lipogram- matica gleaned from a few common
sources which some may find interesting: -Tryphonius (5th BCE)
supposedly composed an epic poem in 24 books in which each book omitted
one of the 24 letters of the Greek alphabet. -Gottlob Burmann, a German
poet of the late 18th century, wrote 130 poems (approximately 20,000
words) wholly omitting the letter 'r'; moreover, during the last 17
years of his life he omitted from his daily conversation words which
contained the letter 'r.'

W. McCarthy
Wash., D.C.