5.0224 Rs: German-English Dictionary (1/22)

Tue, 9 Jul 1991 23:22:40 EDT

Humanist Discussion Group, Vol. 5, No. 0224. Tuesday, 9 Jul 1991.

Date: Tue, 9 Jul 1991 08:58 EDT
From: RKENNER@Vax2.Concordia.CA
Subject: German Dictionary

Carol Bloomquist Traxler might want to check out a product called
LEXIKON, a memory-resident German-English/English-German dictionary
for second language learners. Information can be gotten from:
Tools-of-the-Trade
129 Sherwood Place
Lethbridge, Alberta
T1K-6G6, CANADA
I have no stock in this company. I did, however, see this demonstrated
at the Canadian CALL Conference at York & Guelph Universities a couple of
years back and it looked quite decent.
As for helping beginners with vocabulary, I have a modest suggestion.
At first glance, though, it might seem a bit corny. We've used it with
Spanish for some years, however, and it is quite effective. Find some
old APPLE II computers and get your hands on a package called BASIC
VOCABULARY BUILDER FOR GERMAN from the National Textbook Company, at
4255 W. Touhy Avenue, Lincolnwood, Illinois, 60646-1975. As CALL
software goes, this stuff is pretty ancient. Students react well to
it, though. It can provide a good vocabulary boost during the first
couple of months of a first-year course. After that the learners out
grow it.
Roger Kenner
Concordia University