5.0240 Rs: BCE/CE (4/54)

Fri, 19 Jul 1991 11:40:46 EDT

Humanist Discussion Group, Vol. 5, No. 0240. Friday, 19 Jul 1991.

(1) Date: Wed, 17 Jul 91 10:30:46 PLT (9 lines)
From: Paul Brians <BRIANS@WSUVM1>
Subject: BCE/CE

(2) Date: Wed, 17 Jul 91 21:30 GMT (10 lines)
From: George Aichele <0004705237@mcimail.com>
Subject: BCE/BC

(3) Date: Wed, 17 Jul 91 22:36:10 EDT (18 lines)
From: Eric Rabkin <USERGDFD@UMICHUM.BITNET>
Subject: BCE/CE v BC/AD

(4) Date: Tue, 16 Jul 91 22:40:41 EDT (17 lines)
From: PAULA PRESLEY <AD15%NEMOMUS.BITNET@CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU>
Subject: 5.0233 Qs: ... BCE/CE ...

Date: Wed, 17 Jul 91 10:30:46 PLT
From: Paul Brians <BRIANS@WSUVM1>

I'm no expert, but I believe Jewish scholars, particularly Biblical
ones, invented the BCE/CE designation, which many of us prefer because
it avoids the Christian bias in the BC/AD label, which is inaccurate
anyway, because it hinges on an incorrectly calculated date for the
birth of Jesus. I don't know when it was first developed.