5.0247 Origin of CE/BCE (2/59)

Wed, 24 Jul 1991 21:41:51 EDT

Humanist Discussion Group, Vol. 5, No. 0247. Wednesday, 24 Jul 1991.

(1) Date: Fri, 19 Jul 91 20:42:30 CST (15 lines)
From: (James Marchand) <marchand@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu>
Subject: ce

(2) Date: Mon, 22 Jul 91 13:11:29 CDT (44 lines)
From: Dennis Baron <baron@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu>
Subject: C.E./B.C.E.

Date: Fri, 19 Jul 91 20:42:30 CST
From: (James Marchand) <marchand@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu>

I also do not have any idea as to the originator of this abbreviation, but I
suspect 18th century, when a great deal of PC work went on. I have seen it
called the Christian era, so that removing Christ did not work for some. It
is also called in English "the vulgar era," "our era." In German, one avoids
mention of Christ for whatever reason by saying "Vor unserer Zeitrechnung,"
for example. In French, one can say "l'e&graveaccent;re commun" or "notre
e&graveaccent;re." I would hate to see AD, AM and PM go down the drain. I
was raised in a monolingual community where no language was taught even in
the high-school; the expansions of these abbreviations were practically my
only confrontation with Latin (maybe also i.e. and e.g.).
Jim Marchand