5.0256 Gender, Language, Anthropology (2/57)

Mon, 29 Jul 1991 22:17:25 EDT

Humanist Discussion Group, Vol. 5, No. 0256. Monday, 29 Jul 1991.

(1) Date: Sat, 20 Jul 91 12:57 BST (19 lines)
From: BANKS@VAX.OXFORD.AC.UK
Subject: Re: Gender and Anthropology (5.0239)

(2) Date: Tue, 23 Jul 1991 11:08 EST (38 lines)
From: RUBIN@UCBEH
Subject: gender & language

Date: Sat, 20 Jul 91 12:57 BST
From: BANKS@VAX.OXFORD.AC.UK

Henrietta Moore's _Feminism and Anthropology_ (Polity 1988 in the UK) is
certainly worth looking at, partly because it's a summary of most of the
relevant literature up to that date and so the bibliography should
contain lots of helpful other readings. You might also like to look at
her earlier ethnography of gender relations among a group in Kenya:
_Space, Text and Gender_ (Cambridge U Press 1986).

Similarly, Shirley Ardener, head of the Centre for Cross-Cultural Studies
of Women here in Oxford, has edited numerous collections of essays over
the last 10-15 years (eg. Percieving Women London (Dent) 1975), which I
uwould imagine should be easily available in the
US.

Marcus Banks
Oxford (BANKS@UK.AC.OXFORD.VAX)