Mon, 12 Aug 1991 18:36:54 EDT

Humanist Discussion Group, Vol. 5, No. 0277. Monday, 12 Aug 1991.

(1) Date: Sun, 11 Aug 91 18:51:55 CST (21 lines)
From: (James Marchand) <marchand@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu>
Subject: westerns

(2) Date: Mon, 12 Aug 91 15:55:34 EDT (16 lines)
From: dthel@conncoll.bitnet
Subject: dendrology

Date: Sun, 11 Aug 91 18:51:55 CST
From: (James Marchand) <marchand@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu>

I have wiped my slate clean, so I do not have a record of what was posted,
but someone was searching for an author of Westerns, and I haven't seen an
answer. As someone who cut his teeth on Zane Gray and those other Writers
of the Purple Sage, an avid reader of and researcher on Westerns, I do not
want to leave a fellow in the lurch. Westerns are well-bibliographied and
discussed. You cannot beat The Reader's Encyclopedia of the American West,
ed. Howard R. Lamar (NY: Harper & Row, 1977), over 1300 pages of info. The
granddaddy of them all is J. Frank Dobie, Guide to Life and Literature of
the Southwest, rev. and enl. in both knowledge and wisdom (Dallas: Southern
Methodist Press, 1952). This can be brought closer with Richard W. Etulain,
A Bibliographical Guide to the Study of Western American Literature, 2d ed.,
1982. This can be brought then up-to-date by consulting the yearly bibs
in Western American Literature, a great journal published in Logan. I should
also mention a number of bibliographies from the hand of Ramon Frederick
Adams, also one of the good ones, published by the University of Oklahoma
Press.
Jim Marchand