Mon, 26 Aug 1991 18:58:28 EDT

Humanist Discussion Group, Vol. 5, No. 0292. Monday, 26 Aug 1991.

(1) Date: Sat, 24 Aug 91 21:11 EST (24 lines)
From: KROVETZ@cs.umass.EDU
Subject: BCE/CE

(2) Date: Sat, 24 Aug 91 18:27:26 EDT (18 lines)
From: Robert O'Hara <MNHVZ028@SIVM>
Subject: Trees and ideology

Date: Sat, 24 Aug 91 21:11 EST
From: KROVETZ@cs.umass.EDU

James Marchand mentions that he suspects the notation BCE/CE arose
as an attempt to provide a neutral form for dates. I think this is
probably true, but that doesn't imply there was any desire that it
be adopted by Christians. I think it probably was developed by Jewish
writers as a way for Jews to express dates without reference to
Christianity. Is there any evidence that it was intended to be used
by non-Jewish writers? As far as it's interpretation, I had always
heard of it as "[Before] Common Era"; the interpretation "[Before]
Christian Era" might be folk-etymology.

I also don't see any anti-Christian bias in the notation. I think
it's more a desire to avoid *pro*-Christian bias.

Bob

Krovetz@cs.umass.edu