5.0361 Multilingual WP (more) (2/136)

Fri, 4 Oct 1991 17:44:50 EDT

Humanist Discussion Group, Vol. 5, No. 0361. Friday, 4 Oct 1991.

(1) Date: Fri, 4 Oct 91 08:50:09 PDT (64 lines)
From: "John J Hughes" <XB.J24@STANFORD.BITNET>
Subject: More on Multilingual Issues

(2) Date: Fri, 4 Oct 91 08:58:30 PDT (72 lines)
From: "John J Hughes" <XB.J24@STANFORD.BITNET>
Subject: Still More on Multilingual Issues

Date: Fri, 4 Oct 91 08:50:09 PDT
From: "John J Hughes" <XB.J24@STANFORD.BITNET>

In his recent HUMANIAST message, Tom Crone takes issue with my lack of
concern for portability--being able to transfer (multilingual) files
among different DOS applications. I concede what I believe the idealized
version of the point to be: in the best of all possible computing
worlds, all programs on all platforms running under any number of
^?^?operating systems should be able to read one another's files in a way
that recognizes and preserves all characters--roman and
nonroman--scripts, formatting and mark up. Unfortunately, we don't live
in such a world, and I don't believe we will for quite some time, if
ever. Thus persons who need files in one format translated into another
format and who do not know how to do this themselves will continue to
need Tom and other consultants. Or they will need to do some research
and find a file conversion program that can meet their needs.

I'm not sure there is anything to agree or disagree with concerning
Tom's second point: there is no single video standard in the DOS world
but a multitude of "standards"--CGA, EGA, VGA, HGC+--and this multitude
makes it difficult for developers to develop applications, since each
program has to have a separate video driver to be able to communicate
with each of these video "standards."

But Tom's point raises a more general issue that I find interesting.
There is a blessing and a curse in IBM's approach to the PC platform.
The blessing is that when IBM created the PC in the early 1980s, they
deliberately created an "open platform" and published the specifications
for all (or most) of the components. In fact, the team that designed and
built the first IBM PC used, I believe, all off-the-shelf components,
including the operating system, which they licensed from Microsoft,
having decided not to use Digital's. Thus IBM made it easy for second-
and third-party vendors to develop add-on, add-in, and workalike
components and systems. They did this to try and make their machine as
inexpensive and easy to mass produce, as popular, and hence as
financially successful as possible. Their policy also made it possible
for companies to develop clones and to create new video "standards," for
example, Hercules' HGC+ and IBM's VGA. And by inviting
competition--deliberately or not--IBM's approach drove the price of
microcomputers and their components down, down, down. In fact, I think
it's fair to say that if IBM had not adopted the "open approach" it did,
there might not be a microcomputer-centered HUMANIST discussion group
because there might not have been a microcomputer revolution. Would
microcomputers have taken the business world and then the academic world
by storm if the sole commercially successful member of the species had
remained the Apple II, which in the early 1980s was produced by a
company run be two eccentric (to say the least) guys? I doubt it.

The curse is that the openness of the IBM platform resulted in many
(video) standards, not one. But now you have to ask yourself: "Is
Apple's more closed approach preferable?" To the best of my knowledge,
no one but Apple manufactures Macintosh-compatible ROMS. For example, a
few days ago I got somewhat excited when I read a press release about an
add-in card for DOS machines that would allow them to run Macintosh
^?^?^programs and read and write Macintosh files. The only drawback (not
counting the $900 price) was that users have to _provide their own
Macintosh ROMs_ either by cannibalizing an old Macintosh or by buying
the ROMs from dealers who have! Apple's "closed approach" means that
Apple has no competition in the Macintosh arena the way IBM does in the
DOS arena. And this means that you can get far more "bang for the buck"
by buying an IBM-compatible machine than by buying a Macintosh, since
competition in the DOS world functions to drive the prices down.