5.0387 Rs: NOTIS; Musical Instrument DBMSs;... (4/62)

Mon, 14 Oct 1991 17:56:28 EDT

Humanist Discussion Group, Vol. 5, No. 0387. Monday, 14 Oct 1991.

(1) Date: Thu, 10 Oct 91 20:59:29 EDT (26 lines)
From: Christian Boissonnas <CBY@CORNELLC>
Subject: Re: 5.0380 Qs: Using RLIN

(2) Date: Thu, 10 Oct 1991 20:07 EST (9 lines)
From: "Paul J. Constantine, Yale" <CONSTANTINE@YALEMED.BITNE
Subject: Database Magazine email address

(3) Date: Mon, 14 Oct 91 09:52:32 CST (12 lines)
From: Laura Dankner <DANK@LOYNOVM>
Subject: Musical Instrument Information

(4) Date: Mon, 14 Oct 91 07:55:13 MST (15 lines)
From: "don l. f. nilsen" <ATDFN@ASUACAD>
Subject: Re: 5.0381 Rs: Light Rhyme in French...

Date: Thu, 10 Oct 91 20:59:29 EDT
From: Christian Boissonnas <CBY@CORNELLC>
Subject: Re: 5.0380 Qs: Using RLIN; OUP email; DATABASE address (3/53)

Re: Ed Haupt, Making the irregular regular.

I have written software to prepare lists from downloaded NOTIS
bibliographic records. The data elements included are the author, title
(up to 130 chars.), edition statement, imprint, series (1st two listed
in the 4xx series of fields) ISBN, and the first two subjects.

The data are extracted from the downloaded file reformatted (i.e.
subfield codes are removed) and stored in a dBase file which can be
indexed on any field or combination thereof.

The whole thing assumes that you are capturing screen images and dumping
them to an ASCII file on your pc. It is not terribly elegant but it
works.

Modifying the code for RLIN records would be trivial. The only problem
that I can see is if you are working in line rather than full-face mode.
The same field could appear more than once in a given screen dump, which
would be confusing.

I forgot. The code is in Clipper and anyone is welcome to it as long as
Cornell University receives due acknowledgment.