5.0400 Qs: DOS CDROMs on NexT; LISP; Germand dict. (3/39)

Fri, 18 Oct 1991 20:45:41 EDT

Humanist Discussion Group, Vol. 5, No. 0400. Friday, 18 Oct 1991.

(1) Date: Thursday, 17 October 1991 2149-EST (20 lines)
From: KRAFT@PENNDRLS
Subject: Reading DOS CD-ROMs on NeXT

(2) Date: Wed, 16 Oct 1991 18:25 EST (10 lines)
From: Jean Veronis <VERONIS@VASSAR>
Subject: Teaching LISP to Humanists

(3) Date: Thu, 17 Oct 91 08:37 EST (9 lines)
From: "john p. jacob" <JPJACOB@IUBACS>
Subject: german dictionary

Date: Thursday, 17 October 1991 2149-EST
From: KRAFT@PENNDRLS

Today we tried to test the capability of NeXT running SoftPC (which
permits NeXT to run DOS programs) to access CD-ROMs that are set up to
work with DOS software. We tried two relatively easy cases, both of
which resulted in the same impasse: the DOS software ran fine in SoftPC,
but was unable to recognize the CD-ROM drive as a CD-ROM drive -- that
is, it seemed to treat the CD-ROM reader as another hard disk, thus
frustrating the program code that looked for a CD-ROM reader. Our guess
is that since on a DOS machine, the CD-ROM reader is connected through a
special card interface, while on the NeXT is is through a SCSI
interface, there is no communication. (My screen just went bonkers, so
I'm flying blind at this point!)

Question: if our analysis is correct, does anyone know of a fix for it?
Or a direction in which to seek a (hopefully simple) solution?

Thanks, Bob Kraft, UPenn (no screen!)