5.0404 Qs: Spanish; Russian; Translation (3/92)

Mon, 21 Oct 1991 23:51:37 EDT

Humanist Discussion Group, Vol. 5, No. 0404. Monday, 21 Oct 1991.

(1) Date: Fri, 18 Oct 91 22:54:20 CDT (26 lines)
From: Charles Ess <DRU001D@SMSVMA>
Subject: Spanish translation programs

(2) Date: Sat, 19 Oct 91 12:20 BST (39 lines)
From: LANJH1@VAXA.HERIOT-WATT.AC.UK
Subject: Multilingual wp - Russian PC-Write

(3) Date: Sat, 19 Oct 91 17:24:14 CST (27 lines)
From: (Gerhard Obenaus) <gobenaus@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu>
Subject: Training Programs in Translation

Date: Fri, 18 Oct 91 22:54:20 CDT
From: Charles Ess <DRU001D@SMSVMA>

"We" may have covered this topic lately, in which case I will be happy
to be pointed to the appropriate log. If not --
on behalf of a colleague who thinks there _must_ exist such a thing,
does anyone experience with/knowledge of/recommendations for translation
software -- in particular, a program which can take, in this case, a
Spanish text, and develop a reasonably reliable translation?
Coupled with this request -- recommendations for OCR software and/or
scanners which can handle Spanish text?
In case this helps: the colleague in question is neither ethnocentric
nor linguaphobic (?). On the contrary. But he would like to be able
to demonstrate to recalcitrant superiors that such things exist _now_
as aids to scholars who want to read pertinent materials which are
published in languages other than English/American. Not a bad thought,
I think.

In any case, respondants are asked to reply to me directly. If there's
interest, I'll be happy to post a summary of comments on HUMANIST.

Thanks in advance,

Charles Ess
Drury College