5.0407 LISP, Scheme, Logo, Humanists (3/65)

Thu, 24 Oct 1991 20:52:04 EDT

Humanist Discussion Group, Vol. 5, No. 0407. Thursday, 24 Oct 1991.

(1) Date: Mon, 21 Oct 1991 23:02 MST (21 lines)
From: Sigrid Peterson <SIGPETER@UTAHCCA.BITNET>
Subject: Re:5.0405 LISPing and SCHEMEing as Humanists

(2) Date: Tue, 22 Oct 91 08:17:19 -0600 (23 lines)
From: dirish@math.utah.edu
Subject: RE: LISP and Scheme

(3) Date: Wed, 23 Oct 91 13:14:38 BST (21 lines)
From: Ron W. P. Brasington <llsling1@uk.ac.rdg.susssys1>
Subject: LISP for Humanists

Date: Mon, 21 Oct 1991 23:02 MST
From: Sigrid Peterson <SIGPETER@UTAHCCA.BITNET>

Computer Sciences, here, offers a course called Programming Language
Concepts, on the graduate level, and Software Fundamentals: Programming
Language Structure, on the undergraduate level -- same course, except
that the graduate level course "May only be taken by graduate students
from other departments," who have some experience in programming. The
text is by Harold Abelson and Gerald Jay Sussman, with Julie Sussman,
_Structure and Interpreta- tion of Computer Programs_, Cambridge,
Massachusetts: The MIT Press, 1985. This is probably one of the books
that Christian Allegre would have had to dig out.

Anyone who has read D. R. Hofstadter, _Go%del, Escher, Bach: An Eternal
Golden Braid_, Basic Books, 1979, will be delighted (or some other word)
to know that SCHEME and presumably LISP are recursive computer languages;
that is, a routine can call itself.

Sigrid Peterson
sigpeter@cc.utah.edu