5.0458 Rs: "Hare"; Quotes on Errors (2/29)

Mon, 18 Nov 1991 19:08:02 EST

Humanist Discussion Group, Vol. 5, No. 0458. Monday, 18 Nov 1991.

(1) Date: Sat, 16 Nov 91 11:26:43 EST (16 lines)
From: Michel Pierssens <R36254@UQAM>
Subject: HARE

(2) Date: Fri, 15 Nov 1991 18:05 EST (13 lines)
From: Lawrence Stepelevich <STEPELEVI@VUVAXCOM>
Subject: Re: Quotes on Errors

Date: Sat, 16 Nov 91 11:26:43 EST
From: Michel Pierssens <R36254@UQAM>

I believe the origin of the expression about which G. Warkentin has queried
HUMANIST lays in the medieval latin "hic jacet lepus" meaning: "here's the
crux of the problem". It might have been borrowedfrom earlier Latin sources
of course. It was used in erudite disputations and, I think, in juridical
debates. It was adapted in french as "ici git le lievre", which can be found
in a number of texts. One example is in Marivaux' Le Jeu de l'amour et du
hasard, where Arlequin replies to Lisette who is beginning to suspect that
he is not what he claims to be: "Eh! voila ou git le lievre!" (III,VI)

Michel Pierssens
Etudes francaises
Universite de Montreal