5.0473 Qs: Mac Software; Keyboarding (2/63)

Mon, 25 Nov 1991 15:37:12 EST

Humanist Discussion Group, Vol. 5, No. 0473. Monday, 25 Nov 1991.

(1) Date: Sat, 23 Nov 91 18:04:27 -0800 (49 lines)
From: tshannon@garnet.berkeley.edu
Subject: Mac software query

(2) Date: Mon, 25 Nov 91 10:38:15 GMT (14 lines)
From: Donald A Spaeth <GKHA13@cms.glasgow.ac.uk>
Subject: Re: 5.0459 Keyboarding firms

Date: Sat, 23 Nov 91 18:04:27 -0800
From: tshannon@garnet.berkeley.edu

I need some advice on software for my research. I've collected
a large amount of data on some constructions involving dis-
continuous constituents (e.g. various extrapositions) and am
looking at the relevance of various factors such as grammatical
relation (GR) of the head, its position, +/-def, +/-pl, and other
things, which I am entering with each example. I would like to
use my Mac to figure out the statistics on these factors,
but don't know what (type of) software would be the best
for my needs. I've been told a spreadsheet or database
should do the trick, but don't know which one. Suggestions
have included Excel, Filemaker Pro, Double Helix/Data Desk,
Fourth Dimension, and Foxbase.

I'd like to be able to ask questions such as the following
about examples with extraposition (E):
o what's the total number of examples & how many have E?
o how frequent is extraposition from various positions?
o how frequent is extraposition if the head is either the Subj or PObj?
o if the head's position = 1, how often is its GR Subj, Obj etc.?
o if the head's position = medial, how often is it +def?
o what's the average number of elements following the head?
o what's the maximum number of elements following the head?

My requirements are the following. The application must:
o run on Mac SE with 4MB RAM;
o be easy to use (I don't program!!), especially in querying;
o allow queries on multiple factors (with &, or, etc.);
o allow me to enter multiple lines of text in a field;
o be able to import (& export) data from MS Word;
o be able to print out examples with all related information;
o accommodate 1,000-3,000 examples with 10-20 categories;
o it'd be nice if the data could also be transferred to an IBM.

I would appreciate any suggestions which colleagues may have.
Respondents should reply to me directly (tshannon@garnet.berkeley.edu),
so as not to clutter up this discussion group. I'd be happy to summarize
the recommendations I receive, if there's interest. Thanks.

tom shannon
tshannon@garnet.berkeley.edu

PS: I'm posting this on both Linguist & Humanist. Apologies for
repeats!