5.0479 Rs: Hypertext Software (3/132)

Wed, 27 Nov 1991 18:51:58 EST

Humanist Discussion Group, Vol. 5, No. 0479. Wednesday, 27 Nov 1991.

(1) Date: Tue, 26 Nov 1991 16:25:31 -0600 (26 lines)
From: David Bantz <d-bantz@uchicago.edu>
Subject: Re: 5.0477 Qs: Hypertext S/W

(2) Date: Tue, 26 Nov 91 17:27:37 CST (87 lines)
From: (Gerhard Obenaus) <gobenaus@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu>
Subject: Hypertext

(3) Date: Wed, 27 Nov 91 14:28:36 GMT (19 lines)
From: Donald A Spaeth <GKHA13@cms.glasgow.ac.uk>

Date: Tue, 26 Nov 1991 16:25:31 -0600
From: David Bantz <d-bantz@uchicago.edu>

>Humanist Discussion Group, Vol. 5, No. 0477. Tuesday, 26 Nov 1991.
> From: Christian Koch <FKOCH@OBERLIN.BITNET>
> Subject: Seeking HyperText Software Information

For generic hypertext-like applications or simple information management,
ToolBook from Asymmetrix is the equal of HyperCard for Windows-over-DOS
users. For massive amounts of information, or special needs, you may need
to look at more eleaborate development environments with particular
requirements clearly in mind. But then you say the prospective hypertext
author needs greater sophistication than HyperCard with less investment
than it takes to learn HyperCard! I suppose the compromise will have to be
willingness to adapt to the design decisions of others.

There is a wealth of tools in both environments for displaying a primary
text with hypertext links to other materials. Here a couple:

Guide (available for both Mac and DOS)
textra (still under development at Dartmouth - uses HyperCard)
Abulaffia (still under development at Brown - uses HyperCard)