5.0518 Rs: Fire and Ice; Maja; Once More for Abulafia (3/72)

Tue, 10 Dec 1991 17:40:45 EST

Humanist Discussion Group, Vol. 5, No. 0518. Tuesday, 10 Dec 1991.

(1) Date: Mon, 9 Dec 91 19:13:48 CST (15 lines)
From: (James Marchand) <marchand@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu>
Subject: Icy Fire

(2) Date: Mon, 9 Dec 1991 21:32:27 -0500 (29 lines)
From: warkent@epas.utoronto.ca (Germaine Warkentin)
Subject: Fire and Ice

(3) Date: Tue, 10 Dec 91 8:35:59 CST (28 lines)
From: Dennis Baron <baron@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu>
Subject: maja eco

Date: Mon, 9 Dec 91 19:13:48 CST
From: (James Marchand) <marchand@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu>

You might look at Leonard Forster, The Icy Fire. Five Studies in European
Petrarchism (Cambridge: University Press, 1969). ISBN 521 07495 9. He is
a little too generous with his attributions to Petrarch, since he, of all
people, knows better, but he writes well and offers many examples. If you
are interested in Romance acyrologia, you might like my "Acyrologia as a
Rhetorical Device and Mode of Thought in the Poems of Ausias March," in
Estudis de llengua, literatura i cultura catalanes. Actes del Primer Col.
loqui d'Estudis Catalans a Nord-America, ed. A. Porqueras-Mayo, S.Baldwin
and Jaume Marti-Olivella (Abadia de Montserrat, 1979), 183-194. The various
adynata often attributed to Petrarch are for the most part ancient.
Jim Marchand