5.0554 F Wrord Etymology (2/26)

Fri, 27 Dec 1991 22:42:11 EST

Humanist Discussion Group, Vol. 5, No. 0554. Friday, 27 Dec 1991.

(1) Date: Fri, 20 Dec 1991 18:34:47 EST (11 lines)
From: hans@kean.ucs.mun.ca
Subject: RE: 5.0543 F Word Etymology (2/24)

(2) Date: Sat, 21 Dec 91 11:26:47 EST (15 lines)
From: Lorne Hammond <051796@UOTTAWA>

Date: Fri, 20 Dec 1991 18:34:47 EST
From: hans@kean.ucs.mun.ca

I heard, but have not verified it from the original sources, that the
F-Word is juridical language standing for "FOUND UNDER CARNAL
KNOWLEDGE." It is supposed to be quite common in the
eighteenth-century British newspapers and refers to sex with minors.
Whether this is indeed a juridical term or a folk etymology could be
checked easily by one of our OED experts on Humanist. My 1933 Shorter
OED is too proper to list the word. HANS ROLLMANN.