5.0562 Qs: Legal DBMS; Icon (2/44)

Sat, 4 Jan 1992 14:35:22 EST

Humanist Discussion Group, Vol. 5, No. 0562. Saturday, 4 Jan 1992.

(1) Date: Wed, 1 Jan 92 16:09 EST (26 lines)
From: "Tom Benson 814-865-4201" <T3B@PSUVM.PSU.EDU>
Subject: Request for contacts: Institute of State and Law, Moscow

(2) Date: Sat, 4 Jan 92 11:04 MST (18 lines)
From: SBeeler@UNCAMULT.BITNET
Subject: Icon

Date: Wed, 1 Jan 92 16:09 EST
From: "Tom Benson 814-865-4201" <T3B@PSUVM.PSU.EDU>

On a recent trip to Moscow, Peter Olenick (Princeton) and I visited the
Institute of State and Law, whose computer has recently been connected
to the network being organized by Alexandra Belyaeva. The Institute is
seeking contact with researchers using computers to do legal
scholarship. For example, the Institute is currently compiling a full
text database for statutes of the former Soviet Union. There are
approximately a million statutes.

If you are aware of similar research on large databases, especially
those compiling statutes, please help the Institute for State and Law
establish e-mail contact.

The director of the project is Marina M. Karelina, Department Chief,
Institute of State and Law, Academy of Science, Moscow
<marina@isl.msk.su>. Please copy initial correspondence to Tom Benson
<t3b@psuvm.bitnet>.

Tom Benson
Penn State University