5.0567 Sidney (Family) Books; Metaphors & Legends (2/79)

Mon, 6 Jan 1992 20:09:36 EST

Humanist Discussion Group, Vol. 5, No. 0567. Monday, 6 Jan 1992.

(1) Date: Sun, 29 Dec 1991 22:39:13 -0500 (38 lines)
From: warkent@epas.utoronto.ca (Germaine Warkentin)
Subject: Editing 17th C. Library Catalogue

(2) Date: Sun, 5 Jan 1992 23:04 EST (41 lines)
From: JPARMER@BGSUOPIE.BITNET
Subject: Literary Metaphor / Urban Legends

Date: Sun, 29 Dec 1991 22:39:13 -0500
From: warkent@epas.utoronto.ca (Germaine Warkentin)

Bob Dawson asked (on the list) what library catalogue I was editing.
It's the manuscript of the catalogue of the library of the Sidney
family of Penshurst Place, Kent. The manuscript is on deposit in the
Kent Archives Office, Maidstone, and dates from approximately 1665.
The library it records is that of the 17th-century Sidneys, not Sir
Philip Sidney the poet (1554-1586). However, the books at Penshurst
were a long time accumulating, and in my view it is very likely that a
small number of them once belonged to Sir Philip. The total number of
titles entered in the catalogue is just under 4000 -- a substantial
family library for the period. Some of the books may have been those
of Sir Henry Sidney and Sir Philip his son, many of them were those of
Sir Philip's brother Robert, first Earl of Leicester of the second
creation, and a LOT of them were accumulated by Robert's son the
second Earl, who was not nearly as famous as the rest of the Sidneys,
probably because he seems to have spent most of his time buying books!

May I use this opportunity to ask members of Humanist to let me know
if they ever come across a book with a Sidney family provenance? A
message on ExLibris and C-18L last spring led to several reports of
volumes with the bookplate of Philip the _fifth_ -- a generation too
late for my catalogue, but still of great interest for the history of
the library itself, which goes on until 1743, when the books were
dispersed by that interesting 18th century bookseller Thomas Osborne
(yes, the one at whom Dr. Johnson threw the folio Greek bible). In
particular, I would be grateful for any leads to a copy of the sale
catalogue itself, which unremitting effort has failed to uncover.
Osborne advertised his auction as "Library of John, late Earl of
Leicester," and the sale, with W. Shropshire as auctioneer, was held
in January-February 1742/3. All assistance will be gratefully
acknowledged, and in return I'm always happy to answer questions about
titles in the catalogue.

Germaine Warkentin <warkent@epas.utoronto.ca>