5.0575 Qs: (General) (4/72)

Mon, 13 Jan 1992 22:05:05 EST

Humanist Discussion Group, Vol. 5, No. 0575. Monday, 13 Jan 1992.

(1) Date: Mon, 6 Jan 92 13:54:08 EST (21 lines)
From: david j reimer f <dreimer4@mach1.wlu.ca>
Subject: "B.C.E." again

(2) Date: 6 Jan 92 16:03:02 MST (24 lines)
From: "Randall Jones" <JONESR@jkhbhrc.byu.edu>

(3) Date: Thu, 9 Jan 92 0:59:44 EST (10 lines)
From: lenoblem@ERE.UMontreal.CA (Lenoble Michel)
Subject: Florida State University e-address

(4) Date: Thu, 09 Jan 92 10:19:31 GMT (17 lines)
From: Rainer Henrich <K145310@CZHRZU1A>
Subject: Question: empty-handed more Parthorum

Date: Mon, 6 Jan 92 13:54:08 EST
From: david j reimer f <dreimer4@mach1.wlu.ca>

A little while ago we had some discussion on the origin of the
designations "B.C.E./C.E." (Before the Common Era/Common Era), used
as value-free replacements for the traditional B.C./A.D.

My question has to do not with origins, but with current opinions and
use of these designations. A colleague of mine informs me that in the
Arab world -- or at least in some parts -- these "value-free"
replacements are regarded as Israeli/American. Do others have
experience of this? How is this innovation regarded by our European
members?

Thanks for your thoughts on this question.
David.
--
David J. Reimer, Religion & Culture          Phone: (519) 884-1970 x2680
Wilfrid Laurier University                           Fax: (519) 886-9351