5.0578 F Word Etymology &c. (4/76)

Mon, 13 Jan 1992 22:12:55 EST

Humanist Discussion Group, Vol. 5, No. 0578. Monday, 13 Jan 1992.

(1) Date: Thu, 19 Dec 91 18:19 EST (12 lines)
From: KROVETZ@cs.umass.EDU
Subject: F word

(2) Date: Thu, 19 Dec 91 20:49 EST (30 lines)
From: "George Fowler h(317)571-9471 o(812)855-2829"
Subject: RE: 5.0543 F Word Etymology (2/24)

(3) Date: Sat, 28 Dec 91 20:22:27 EST (20 lines)
From: Christy Cousineau <CCOUSINO@ucs.indiana.edu>
Subject: the computer term "to spool"

(4) Date: Sun, 5 Jan 1992 17:22:21 -0500 (14 lines)
From: rsiemens@epas.utoronto.ca (Ray Siemens)
Subject: A tangent on the F word

Date: Thu, 19 Dec 91 18:19 EST
From: KROVETZ@cs.umass.EDU

There is a good discussion of the etymology of `fuck' in `An Obscenity
Symbol', Allen Walker Read, American Speech, Vol. 9(4), 1934. He mentions
that the original meaning was `to knock', and that there is a psychological
parallel in the expression `knocked up'. He also mentions that `pungo'
(to prick or puncture) and `pugil' (a boxer) might be Latin cognates.
They come from the root `pug-' (to thrust or strike).

Bob