5.0581 Computers in Literature (2/55)

Mon, 13 Jan 1992 22:18:59 EST

Humanist Discussion Group, Vol. 5, No. 0581. Monday, 13 Jan 1992.

(1) Date: Tue, 07 Jan 92 14:49:13 EDT (33 lines)
From: Scott Stebelman <SCOTTLIB@GWUVM>
Subject: Re: 5.0498 Rs: Computers in Literature (2/69)

(2) Date: 7 January 1992, 11:37:47 EST (22 lines)
From: WCONDEE at OUACCVMB

Date: Tue, 07 Jan 92 14:49:13 EDT
From: Scott Stebelman <SCOTTLIB@GWUVM>

Sorry I'm so late in responding--I just returned from vacation. Two reference
books that have many computer citations are Fiction Index and Fiction Catalog.
These will refer you to works having computers as a major theme. Be aware that
you will have to go through several editions of each work to get all the
relevant citations.

A database search should yield relevant citations. Specific databases that
come to mind are: (1) MLA Bibliography (you may find a bibliography of primary
literature (2) RILA (art bibliography) (3) Dissertation Abstracts (4) Arts &
Humanities Citation Index (5) EPIC or RLIN (book databases)

Print bibliographies: Art Index, Humanities Index, Bibliographic Index .
I know MLA has published a bibliography on Science and Literature--I suggest
you look at your catalog or ask a librarian.

Speaking of a librarian, I hope you talk with the librarians for literature and
art--they know about these databases and print bibliographies. I bet they can
even do a computer search for you. If some of these databases (such as the MLA
Bibliography) are available as compact disks in your library, all the better.

Do not be frustrated that many of the tools refer to secondary criticism. They
often will have bibliographies citing the primary literature.

Scott Stebelman
George Washington University
Gelman Library
Washington, D. C. 20052

BITNET: SCOTTLIB@GWUVM
(2) --------------------------------------------------------------25----
Date: 7 January 1992, 11:37:47 EST
From: WCONDEE at OUACCVMB

Concerning an earlier querry concerning plagiarism-detection software:

Today's New York Times science section mentions a Dr. Ned Feder and Mr.
Walter Stewart with (I think) the National Institute of Health as having
created a detection program that compares huge amounts of material
almost instantly. Mr. Stewart claims "he knew of a person who had spent
an entire month comparing a book chapter with the material from which it
was supposedly plagiarised. 'With this system, the comparison itself
would take about 20 seconds.'"
Not a great article -- too vague on the programming techniques, too
alarmist with the implications. The only address reference given was "a
subbasement room at the campus in Bethesda, Md. They have two narrow
rooms once filled wiht thousands of bottles of snails." How hard could
that be to track down?
Phillip J. Hilts wrote the article.

Respectfully
Barry Rountree