5.0599 Qs: (Computer related) (3/102)

Wed, 15 Jan 1992 20:23:39 EST

Humanist Discussion Group, Vol. 5, No. 0599. Wednesday, 15 Jan 1992.

(1) Date: Sun, 12 Jan 92 17:49:19 CST (33 lines)
From: Charles Ess <DRU001D@SMSVMA>
Subject: electronic communication

(2) Date: Tue, 14 Jan 1992 21:15 EST (18 lines)
From: WATTS@BUTLERU.BITNET
Subject: Bibliography Software

(3) Date: 13 January 1992, 20:31:30 EST (51 lines)
From: WCONDEE at OUACCVMB
Subject: [Stagecraft/Dereggi]

Date: Sun, 12 Jan 92 17:49:19 CST
From: Charles Ess <DRU001D@SMSVMA>

As part of a study I'm doing on communication theory and electronic
environments (including hypermedia and e-mail through networked
environments, etc.), I'm looking for information regarding the
impacts of access to such environments. Some work indicates, specifically,
that such environments seem to facilitate communication which would
otherwise not take place -- e.g., the shy student who "speaks" first
only in an electronic environment, but who then "comes out" to speak
in class, etc.

I am particularly interested in work that indicates whether or not
such environments appear to enhance communication skills in these ways,
whether such environments appear to encourage _diversity_ of "voices"
in groups that have access to such environments -- and whether such
environments can be said (and in what sense) to contribute to a
_democratic_ form of community. In general, I'm attempting to see
how far computer environments fulfill an old promise of "democritizing"
access to information, contributing to a more democratic community, etc.

I anticipate that this study will eventually reach the light of print;
HUMANIST folk who provide useful references will be gratefully acknowledged.
Replies should be addressed to me directly; if there's sufficient
interest in this topic, I will be happy to post a compilation of
references for the benefit of all.

My thanks in advance,

Charles Ess
Drury College