5.0651 Rs: Translating; Memorizing (3/75)

Wed, 5 Feb 1992 23:41:13 EST

Humanist Discussion Group, Vol. 5, No. 0651. Wednesday, 5 Feb 1992.

(1) Date: Tue, 28 Jan 1992 16:32 EDT (31 lines)
From: Karl Van Ausdal <VANAUSDALK@APPSTATE.BITNET>
Subject: Source (?) of quotation on translation

(2) Date: Wed, 29 Jan 92 23:53:32 EST (19 lines)
From: Bernard.van't.Hul@um.cc.umich.edu
Subject: 5.0631 Qs: (Various)

(3) Date: Sat, 1 Feb 92 10:08:24 CST (25 lines)
From: (James Marchand) <marchand@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu>
Subject: translations like women

Date: Tue, 28 Jan 1992 16:32 EDT
From: Karl Van Ausdal <VANAUSDALK@APPSTATE.BITNET>

Although this is not a French aphorism, Karl Peltzer's *Das treffende Zitat*
(Thun und Munchen: Ott Verlag, 1957) p. 684 cites a German version, and a
source.

Ubersetzungen gleichen den Frauen: sind sie treu, so sind sie nicht
schon, und sind sie schon, und sind sie schon, so sind sie nicht treu.
[Umlauts over 1st "U" in Ubersetzungen, and "o" in both schons]

The citation is to Carl Bertrand, "Vorrede zu seiner Danteubersetzung" [umlaut
over 1st U in last word] The British Library catalogue and the National Union
Catalog both list Bertrand's three-volume metrical translation of the Divine
Comedy, published in Heidelberg, 1887-94.

Several dictionaries of "modern quotations" include a similar quotation by the
South African poet Roy Campbell (1901-1957):

Translations (like wives) are seldom faithful if they are in the least
attractive.
*Poetry Review*, June/July 1949

J.M. and M.J. Cohen's *The Penguin Dictionary of Modern Quotations* (1971) is
the earliest collection (among the modest library holdings I've been able to
consult) to cite that version.

Karl Van Ausdal
Appalachian State University
vanausdalk@appstate.bitnet