5.0665 Rs: Devil in the Details (3/35)

Mon, 10 Feb 1992 23:04:35 EST

Humanist Discussion Group, Vol. 5, No. 0665. Monday, 10 Feb 1992.

(1) Date: Tue, 04 Feb 92 00:05 PST (11 lines)
From: Shirley Arora <ILX3ARO@UCLAMVS.BITNET>
Subject: Query from Peter Just on 22 Jan

(2) Date: Thu, 6 Feb 1992 06:28 EST (10 lines)
From: Michael Metzger <MLLMIKEM@UBVMS.BITNET>
Subject: Bregman - "details"

(3) Date: Thu, 6 Feb 92 8:08:07 EST (14 lines)
From: Ed Haupt <haupt@pilot.njin.net>
Subject: miscellaneous

Date: Tue, 04 Feb 92 00:05 PST
From: Shirley Arora <ILX3ARO@UCLAMVS.BITNET>

Since no e-mail address for Peter Just was given in his query, I'm
replying to the list. I assume that by now someone has located a source
for the French aphorism on translations, but I recently came across this
variation, which might be of interest. It's attributed to Roy Campbell:
"Translations (like wives) are seldom strictly faithful if they are in the
least attractive." (Source: The Oxford Dictionary of Modern Quotations,
ed. Tony Augarde, Oxford UP, 1991, p. 45:13).