5.0670 Internet Access to Oxford Text Archive (1/82)

Wed, 12 Feb 1992 23:15:57 EST

Humanist Discussion Group, Vol. 5, No. 0670. Wednesday, 12 Feb 1992.

Date: Sat, 8 Feb 92 18:06 GMT
From: Oxford Text Archive <ARCHIVE@VAX.OXFORD.AC.UK>
Subject: Internet Access to the Oxford Text Archive

INTERNET ACCESS TO THE OXFORD TEXT ARCHIVE

As of this month, it is now possible to access machines here on JANET
directly from the InterNet. As of today, it is also (ipso facto)
possible directly to transfer files from a machine here to any other
machine on the InterNet, without specifying a password, filling in a
form, or any of that other stuff that some people find so difficult.

We'd like to start making some -- not all -- of the Oxford Text
Archive's materials available in this way. There are two constraints.

Firstly, we cannot distribute material that does not belong to us.
But there is a small quantity of material we can distribute, which
we believe to be in the public domain.

Secondly, we want to begin as we intend to go on: by distributing
materials in TEI SGML only. But there is a small number of (mostly
very large) files which we will make available 'as is' to test the
procedure immediately. We'd appreciate your comments as to how
useful/reliable you've found the procedure.

Here's what you need to know:

>From a machine on the Internet, you should type

FTP ox.ac.uk << N.B. this is *not* VAX.OX.AC.UK!

or, since we're not in many people's official name tables yet,

FTP 129.67.1.165

When connected, give username anonymous and supply your name as a password.

Unless otherwise stated, all files contain plain uncompressed character data

The following files are currently available in the directory ota:

textarchive.sgml List of OTA Holdings as of 1 November in SGML
textarchive.list Same list, no SGML tags
textarchive.form Text Archive Order form

The following are currently available in the directory ota/dicts

710 Directory containing the three files making up
the 'computer-usable' dictionary derived from
OALDCE by Roger Mitton

1054 Directory containing the MRC Psycholinguistic Database,
complete with manuals and simple C programs for accessing
the database

info File containing brief descriptive details of all machine
readable dictionaries currently held in the Archive, with
illustrative examples from each

The following files are currently available in the directory ota/tei

vm2tar.Z The public domain ARC SGML parser: complete
source code and documentation for UNIX systems.
(This version has been modified to support
TEI dtds; it is in compressed TAR format)

So, for example, to get the plain shortlist, you'd type

ftp 129.67.1.165
anonymous
myname
cd ota
get textarchive.list
bye

Internet access is regarded here as a privilege, not a right. Please
don't overuse it! And please remember that this is an experimental
facility, which may be withdrawn or substantially modified at any time
without notice.

Lou Burnard
Alan Morrison

Oxford Text Archive 5 Feb 92