5.0699 Rs: Tamil/Sanskrit in WP; Footnotes in Ventura (3/83)

Wed, 19 Feb 1992 21:27:17 EST

Humanist Discussion Group, Vol. 5, No. 0699. Wednesday, 19 Feb 1992.

(1) Date: Wed, 19 Feb 1992 10:07:36 +0000 (43 lines)
From: ucgadkw@ucl.ac.uk (Dominik Wujastyk)
Subject: Re: 5.0685 [Double column footnotes in Ventura]

(2) Date: Wed, 19 Feb 1992 10:18:09 +0000 (21 lines)
From: ucgadkw@ucl.ac.uk (Dominik Wujastyk)
Subject: Re: 5.0685 Qs: Tamil/Sanskrit in WP

(3) Date: Wed, 19 Feb 92 10:57:06 GMT (19 lines)
From: Christopher Currie <c.currie@clus1.ulcc.ac.uk>
Subject: Double-column footnotes in Ventura

Date: Wed, 19 Feb 1992 10:07:36 +0000
From: ucgadkw@ucl.ac.uk (Dominik Wujastyk)
Subject: Re: 5.0685 Qs: Tamil/Sanskrit in WP; Greek;... (4/72)

\begin{quotation}
> Date: Fri, 14 Feb 92 17:18:00 GMT
> From: ach@aberystwyth.ac.uk
> Subject: Double-column footnotes in Ventura Publisher
>
> If the above is not possible, does anyone know of a package
> which could manage it (apart from TeX which I imagine could do the job
> with a lot of tweaking)? (The footnotes in question are really variant
> readings to a verse text.)
>
> Any suggestions, however laborious, gratefully received!
> Thanks, Andrew Hawke

\end{quotation}

Andrew, you need EDMAC. This is a plain TeX format specifically for dealing
with critical editions. It does two- and three-column footnotes, as well
as run-on paragraph notes. It allows up to five layers of footnotes
(formats separately controllable), and automatically deals with line
numbering and footnote referencing by line number.

There is nothing in the commercial world that can do any of this.

EDMAC is written up in _TUGboat: The communications of the TeX Users Group_,
volume 11(4), 1990, pp.623-643.

It's free, of course. Get in touch if you want to know more.

Dominik

Dr Dominik Wujastyk, | Janet: D.Wujastyk@uk.ac.ucl
Wellcome Institute for | Bitnet/Earn/Ean/Uucp/Internet: D.Wujastyk@ucl.ac.uk
the History of Medicine,| or: dow@harvunxw.bitnet or: dow@wjh12.harvard.edu
183 Euston Road, | last resort: D.Wujastyk%uk.ac.ucl@nsfnet-relay.ac.uk
London NW1 2BN, England. | Phone no.: +44 71 383-4252 ext.24