5.0733 Conference: Public and Private Performance (1/104)

Fri, 28 Feb 1992 00:35:23 EST

Humanist Discussion Group, Vol. 5, No. 0733. Friday, 28 Feb 1992.

Date: Sun, 23 Feb 1992 20:00 CDT
From: Mark Glazer <MG6BE8@PANAM>
Subject: Conference: The Sociology and Anthropology of Performance

AN INTERNATIONAL CONFERENCE ON
THE SOCIOLOGY AND ANTHROPOLOGY OF PERFORMANCE:
PUBLIC AND PRIVATE
August 14-16, 1992
Ottawa, Canada

CALL FOR PAPERS:
Submissions are invited for an international symposium
which explores "performance" with reference to both public and
private domains as well as the links between the two. Scholars
with an interest in the performing arts (e.g. dance, music, media
etc.) as well as those with interest in private performance (e.g.
ritual, meditation, shamanism etc.) are invited to attend a
two-day symposium at Carleton University.

OVERVIEW:
Apart from the public performance of demonstrative acts
involving skills such as speeches, song, dance and public drama,
human beings enact private performances which include worship,
meditation and ritual-drama. There is an element of the public
in private performance, as when rehearsing for a public
performance context and there is an element of the private in
public performance when the performer has recourse to concepts of
personal growth or fulfilment. In both cases, sociological and
anthropological analysis yields valuable insights.

TOPICS:
The conference will include presentations dealing with the
sociology and anthropology of the performing arts and/or the
presentation of short performances including:

- Dance choreography as a special language of communication
- Theatre as social comment or social instrument
- Music and musicology as social expression or hegemonic
discourse
- Media and the performing arts
- The sacred and the secular in the performing arts
- Public ritual performance

Presentations dealing with the sociology and anthropology of
private performance might include:

- Meditation, and personal ritual-drama
- Physical and mental yogas
- The ritual control of experience
- Ritually mediated transformation and rites of passage
- Ritual or transpersonal epistemologies and esoteric
epistemologies

These categories are neither mutually exclusive or
exhaustive. Scholars and performers are welcome to suggest other
topics. Please send an outline a.s.a.p. by email or regular mail
to the organizers before March 30, 1992. Your response should
include a short C.V. along with the title and a short abstract of
your presentation. As this information will form a part of our
funding requests we are enclosing a standard S.S.H.R.C.C. form
(with our hardcopy notice) to use for responses.

FUNDING:
In today's financial climate our funding package is unlikely
to be generous. We would ask participants to explore the
possibilities for travel grants from their own institutions. We
hope to offer accommodation in student residences at $27.00
(Can.) for bed and breakfast and to provide your lunch and
dinners with registration fees. With luck we may be able to
provide local hospitality and a part of your travel expenses.

CONFERENCE SCHEDULE:
Friday Aug. 14 6:00 PM Registration followed by reception
Saturday Aug. 15 9:00 AM Public Performance I
1:00 PM Private Performance I
7:00 PM Evening performance
Sunday, Aug. 16 9:00 AM Private Performance II
1:00 PM Public Performance II

SUBMISSIONS:
The conference organizers are: V. Subramaniam and B.
Given. Please send all submissions to Professor Given.

Brian J. Given
Sociology and Anthropology
Carleton University
Ottawa, Ont.
Canada

(email = BRIAN_GIVEN@CARLETON.CA)

APPLICATION FORM

The following information is requested and will form the basis
for our conference funding applications (hardcopy is included
with regular mail calls for papers).

1/ Name of participant
2/ Role of participant (presenter, attender)
3/ Degrees (or other formal qualifications)
4/ Relevant professional position(s)
5/ Important and recent publications (or performances)

BRIAN J. GIVEN (BRIAN_GIVEN@CARLETON.CA)