5.0798 Rs: Gender Diff. in Names; Angry Student (4/65)

Sat, 28 Mar 1992 18:09:34 EST

Humanist Discussion Group, Vol. 5, No. 0798. Saturday, 28 Mar 1992.

(1) Date: Thu, 26 Mar 1992 16:00 EST (32 lines)
From: "NAME MICHEL (MGRIMAUD@LUCY.WELLESLEY.EDU) GRIMAUD"
Subject: Re: 5.0785 Gender Differentiation in Names

(2) Date: Fri, 27 Mar 92 10:06:54 IST (23 lines)
From: "David M. Schaps" <F21004@BARILVM>

(3) Date: Fri, 27 Mar 92 06:41:19 EST (5 lines)
From: FCOTTER@SETONVM

(4) Date: Thu, 26 Mar 92 18:41:54 EST (5 lines)
From: Michael <MMORSE@VM1.YorkU.CA>
Subject: Re: 5.0789 angry student query

Date: Thu, 26 Mar 1992 16:00 EST
From: "NAME MICHEL (MGRIMAUD@LUCY.WELLESLEY.EDU) GRIMAUD"
Subject: Re: 5.0785 Gender Differentiation in Names (1/90)

The hypothesis concerning the existence of names for women in Rome is
intriguing. However, I have two comments:

KINSHIP TERMS INSTEAD OF NAMES... OR STANDARD AVOIDANCE STRATEGIES

--General onomastic practices the previous centuries and of Roman times
too (I believe) privileged KINSHIP TERMS... such as "daughter" in address
and reference. It is easy in reference to say "my first daughter" or "my
youngest daughter" or "niece". In address, one need only look at someone
and say "daughter". Often, the CONTENT of one's address suffices to
indicate whom we are talking to. The proof of this whole pudding of course
is that in many cultures there is a taboo on calling people by name... yet
all these cultures manage fine. We all know about the "mother-in-law
naming problem" (most people hesitate, often for years, to call her
"mother")... yet we manage fine.

In many cultures TODAY women are not named either... and people manage
fine
--See for example China (Rubie Watson, "The Named and the Nameless gender
and person in Chinese society" American Anthropologist, 13, 4, 1986, 619-
631)
For abundant bibliographic references, see my two-part article "Les
Onomastiques" in the NOUVELLE REVUE D'ONOMASTIQUE (# 15-16, 1990, pp. 5-23
and # 17-18, pp. 9-24) [You don't need to read much French to understand
much of it; and a majority of the bib refs are in English anyway.]

Michel Grimaud
Wellesley College