5.0802 Rs: Word Perfect to SGML Conversions (2/66)

Mon, 30 Mar 1992 20:07:36 EST

Humanist Discussion Group, Vol. 5, No. 0802. Monday, 30 Mar 1992.

(1) Date: Sun, 29 Mar 1992 23:09 GMT (25 lines)
From: Peter Flynn <CBTS8001@IRUCCVAX.UCC.IE>
Subject: Re: SGML conversion request posted to Humanist

(2) Date: Sun, 29 Mar 92 14:36:18 CST (41 lines)
From: (Gerhard Obenaus) <g-obenaus@uiuc.edu>
Subject: SGLM in Word Perfect

Date: Sun, 29 Mar 1992 23:09 GMT
From: Peter Flynn <CBTS8001@IRUCCVAX.UCC.IE>

John asks:

> Does anyone know of a way to take WordPerfect files/documents and change
> the WordPerfect tagging/coding to SGML equivalents? The idea is to be
> able to create documents in WordPerfect and then automatically transform
> the imbedded WordPerfect codes (e.g., italic) into SGML equivalents.

I had a circular from WordPerfect Corp a week or two ago, soliciting
comments on their plans to incorporate SGML sensitivity into
WordPerfect. I replied (with reference to our own work) that it would be
warmly welcomed, provided there were conversion facilities, visible DTDs
(ie not compiled-only), fully-qualified parsing, and options to hide
or reveal SGML tags (and a lot of other stuff). They seem very serious
about it...but it was information-only, so don't hold your breath.

In the meantime, I believe XGML from Exoterica and Mark-It from Sema
are both capable of some conversion into and/or out of WordPerfect. I'd
be interested to hear from anyone who has experience of these abilities.

///Peter Flynn