5.0809 Qs: Paraclausithyron; ProCite Compatibility (2/30)

Wed, 1 Apr 1992 17:07:57 EST

Humanist Discussion Group, Vol. 5, No. 0809. Wednesday, 1 Apr 1992.

(1) Date: Wed, 1 Apr 1992 08:35:23 -0500 (20 lines)
From: mlbizer@phoenix.Princeton.EDU
Subject: Paraclausithyron

(2) Date: Wed, 01 Apr 92 10:05:08 PLT (10 lines)
From: Paul Brians <BRIANS@WSUVM1>
Subject: Pro-Cite IBM/Mac Compatibility

Date: Wed, 1 Apr 1992 08:35:23 -0500
From: mlbizer@phoenix.Princeton.EDU

To those interested,
I am working on Joachim Du Bellay's use of various poetic
conventions in his Amores cycle. Although the motif of the
paraclausithyron (the lover before the closed door) is extensively used in
classical elegiac love poetry (Propertius, Tibullus, Ovid), it seems to be
rare in the Latin love poetry of the Renaissance. I am aware that Pontano
wrote "Carmen nocturnum ad fores puellae", included in his own
*Parthenopeus sive Amorum* collection (I,3). Can any of you indicate other
uses of the theme in the Renaissance?
Thanks for your help.

Sincerely,
Marc Bizer (mlbizer@phoenix.princeton.edu)
Department of Romance Languages and Literatures
Princeton University