5.0841 Rs: PC; Plagiarism (3/61)

Sun, 19 Apr 1992 13:23:07 EDT

Humanist Discussion Group, Vol. 5, No. 0841. Sunday, 19 Apr 1992.

(1) Date: 15 April 92, 22:25:11 EDT (21 lines)
From: Harry Whitaker <R12040@UQAM.BITNET>
Subject: political correctness strikes again

(2) Date: Wed, 15 Apr 92 19:11:57 EDT (30 lines)
From: lenoblem@ERE.UMontreal.CA (Lenoble Michel)
Subject: Re: 5.0828 Final Words on Plagiarism

(3) Date: Thu, 16 Apr 92 08:40:17 PLT (10 lines)
From: Paul Brians <BRIANS@WSUVM1>
Subject: Outrageous Plagiarism

Date: 15 April 92, 22:25:11 EDT
From: Harry Whitaker <R12040@UQAM.BITNET>

Source: The Gazette, Montreal, Saturday April 11, 1992, p. B6
Article: "Not Correct: Padlocking the Minds of Writers"
Author: Neil Bissoondath, a Montreal novelist and short story
writer who wrote a Special to the Gazette, from which the follwoing
direct quote is taken:

"Two months ago Quebec artist Lyne Robichaud had her
painting "Woman with Bananas" banned from exhibition at Concordia
University Women's Centre: the depiction of a black woman by a white
painter was deemed unacceptable. Calls were raised for artists to
restrict their imaginative explorations to their own culture and gender.
Not long after, Canada Council director Joyce Zemans waded into the
issue of "cultural appropriation" by suggesting that before exploring
lives or cultures different from their own, artists should seek
consultation with, even permission from, such groups. Implicit in her
stand was that failure to do so would have an unhappy effect on
Council grants to artists."