5.0860 Query re Advertising Conferences on E-Lists (1/75)

Tue, 28 Apr 1992 17:21:41 EDT

Humanist Discussion Group, Vol. 5, No. 0860. Tuesday, 28 Apr 1992.

Date: Tue, 28 Apr 92 10:35:43 BST
From: Christopher Currie <c.currie@clus1.ulcc.ac.uk>
Subject: Should the Anglo-American Conference of Historians be
advertised on E-Lists?

This (private) inquiry is initiated to determine whether it would
be useful to advertise the annual Anglo-American Conference of
Historians on electronic mailing lists and bulletin boards.
It is being sent to the Humanist and History lists. Please
cross-post it to any other relevant lists.

The Sixty-First Anglo-American Conference of Historians will be
held at the Institute of Historical Research, University of
London, from 7 to 10 July 1992. The theme this year (surprise,
surprise) is Europe and the Americas from the Middle Ages to the
present. (The registration fee is #30 sterling, with reductions
for postgraduates and the unwaged. Lunches and teas are
extra. Attenders arrange their own overnight accomodation.)

The Conference is advertised annually by a paper mailshot of
several thousand copies to individuals and departments in the
U.K., North America, and elsewhere. The Institute's administration
is as yet not very network-minded. Should it be encouraged to
advertise electronically, or are the paper mailshots already
reaching all interested parties?

If you have NOT seen any notice on paper of this year's
Conference, and would be interested /might have been interested in
registering, please complete the following (very brief)
questionnaire and return it to me, NOT to the list on which you
see this post. Please do NOT reply if you have already received
notice on paper. I cannot answer, and shall not acknowledge,
detailed enquiries about the Conference.

If there is a significant response I can then organize a full
post, including registration forms, on this and other lists,
either for this year's conference or next year's.

Christopher Currie
c.currie@clus1.ulcc.ac.uk

-------------------------- CUT HERE --------------------------

Please return this form to:

c.currie@clus1.ulcc.ac.uk (Internet)
c.currie%uk.ac.ulcc.clus1@UKACRL.BITNET

I have NOT seen any notice on paper of the 61st Anglo-American
Conference of Historians.

[Please delete 1 or 2 as appropriate]:

1. Yes, I would be interested in registering for the conference.
I should like to see a full notice and registration form for this
year's Conference posted.

2. I would have been interested in registering if I had seen a
post and registration form on the network earlier in the year. I
might be interested in future years.

Name:

Institution and department:

Street address: